Thursday, April 9, 2009

Losses and Blessings

Ever noticed how when something really negative occurs, something positive is sure to follow? Ever notice how when something is taken away from you, somehow entirely different other blessings arrive on your doorstep?

I've been feeling rather "down" lately. Life as we have known it for the past ten years is taken a giant turn. The friends I love and hold so dear are going to be miles away from me, the quick trip to the grocery store (my favorite place to roam up and down the aisles when anxious or overburdened, is going to be miles away now - like 15 - instead of 3 blocks away. The kitchen we had renovated and decorated in shades of a beautiful mellow green, will be left behind, with my wonderful double ovens (something I had dreamed about owning for years) are, of course, going to be left behind as well.

I've discovered already, that the older we get, the harder it is for change to take place. Rest assured however, we are going to a beautiful spot. The weather couldn't be nicer, and being near our daughter and her children will be great, but still, the change, the packing, and the deciding what to sell, what to pitch and what to keep is challenging!

I was having what one could call a meltdown the other day. I was packing some things in my lovely kitchen, and the tears were flowing. My mother had given us a small amount of money and it was used for the kitchen. Somehow, that room represented her, and the connection of the loss of her and the loss of the kitchen became muddled with each other.

And then the blessings arrived! Ron, who was working in the study, just arrived in the kitchen, put his arms around me and literally hugged me with his heart. He asked what the real problem was, and the dam let loose. That was OK with him - he just let me weep until I could explain. I then decided to take a break from the kitchen and catch up on my e-mails. There was an e-mail from a pastor we had done seminars for years ago. He reported on two wonderful stories of success following his members completing the recovery program. There was another from another country, where current success is occurring far beyond our wildest dreams.

There they were - three wonderful heart-felt blessings to make me understand that our marriage and our work are far more important and impacting than our momentary losses.

As you struggle through the effects of these difficult economic times, look for the blessings that the good Lord pours on you with one hand while the times in which we live and the circumstances of life seem to take away with the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment