Tuesday, July 7, 2009

We Fall Down, We Get Up

Our little Molly has digressed from the perfectly behaved little mini-schnauzer pup to a defiant little girl! What in the world has happened, we ask ourselves. What did we do wrong?

Molly came to us as such a little angel. She seemed to know that outside was for going potty and inside was for playing and snuggling. She has reversed things! This morning at 6:30, I took her out for her early morning duties, and she sat and just looked around at the scenery! Granted, it is very beautiful here, but she has awakened us with her whining, and heretofore that has meant it was time for a bathroom break. Not today. Actually I took her out three different times, and three different times she sat and looked at the scenery or licked the morning dew off the grass. But in-between one of those outdoor excursions, she did her business in the kitchen, where we had her blocked in. WHAT?

I have to admit, it reminded me of humans. We think we get it right, only to discover that somehow we have bungled things up again. Old habits die hard. One song made famous by singer Bob Carlisle (made famous by "Butterfly Kisses"), states,

"We fall down, we get up! And the saints are just the sinners who fall down and get up."

So Miss Molly is still a saint who has fallen down and will get up. I too, am a sinner who falls down much more often than I'd like, but I do keep getting up. Kind of foolish of me to think that a little puppy wouldn't fall down if a grown-up Grandma human does!

The important thing is that when I fall down, God doesn't scold me. He picks me up on His lap, so to speak, and says, "What happened, kid?" Often I have no answer, any more than sweet little Molly does. Is she being defiant or is she just being human like me? - no really, doggie.? I think that she is just being the imperfect little critter that she is, and she'll get up. She'll do what she needs to outside and she'll be the sweet girl she is, inside and outside. She just needs from us the same kind of longsuffering love that God grants to me.

"God, grant us patience with ourselves, with each other and even with our little puppies!"

Back to home page

No comments:

Post a Comment