Monday, July 20, 2009

A Wise Saying

"Pain is God's megaphone to rouse a deaf world." C.S. Lewis said it many a time in his speeches, and it is written at least once in his writings. How wise He was!

Whether it is a 2 AM or 2 PM or any time in between, I've noticed that when I am hurting, I cry out - if only in my mind, "Oh God!." Yes it's true, we do call on Him when we are in pain, don't we?

It's happened to me several times! I remember it well when I crashed a Moped in Bermuda and lay sprawled out in the middle of the road, endeavoring to assess what had happened and if I could move at all. It happened when the pressure cooker blew and scalding potato water burned the skin from my hands and thighs. I remember it again when I had a knee replacement about twelve years ago, and I would sit in the recliner in the middle of the night wondering why I felt so punished. It happened when I faced the surgeon's knife in 2005 for a cervical fusion and fear enveloped me like a blanket of doom. And it's happening now when awakened in the early, early morning hours with stabbing pain in my shoulder from a parking lot fall. Yes, I call out to God and wonder why I must suffer with this at a time when I really need to be getting adequate sleep for all the tasks that lie ahead on a daily basis. But in reality, I know.

You see, it's that in the middle of the night that there's not much to do but write and spend time communing with God. He knows that I need an excuse to sit and ponder, to read, to write, to spend time in quiet pursuits instead of in doing, doing, doing! And maybe having a fall such as I did, is the way to get me to a doctor - I'm so busy doing so much, that I tend to neglect myself.

When people are flat on their backs, the only way to look is up. God knows that and He will make it happen if He knows that ultimately it is in our best interest. That's what love is - A God-given power of choice to do that which is in the best interest of another, regardless of my feelings. To be sure, God ALWAYS does what is in our best interest, even if it hurts Him - or us in the short term.

It is true, Mr. Lewis, and I wish you were still alive to hear me, and others, agree with you. Pain does arouse us. It alerts us mainly to our need for God and it forces us to submit to His control of us and to the loving give and take relationship He offers.

Lord open our ears, will you please, so that we hear your slightest whisper and don't have to be alerted to Your Presence by the screaming siren of pain.

Back to home page

No comments:

Post a Comment