Monday, September 28, 2009

How Much?

If you thought that last week's blog was cool - miracle colors and all, wait ‘til you hear this one!

When I got to the condo, I discovered a major problem in the master bathroom. There was a hairline crack in the toilet's tank. The water had seeped out and down the back of the tank and onto the wall and floor. The wall surrounding the toilet was mold and mildew. I was horrified, to say the least!
Now here's the corker! The toilet is a rare wall-hung model. They are common in Sun City homes. This was a big complication to the mess!

We have a special insurance on the condo called Service One. They sent a plumber to have a look. He informed me that a new toilet would cost $1000.00! and the insurance would NOT cover it. Something about we needed an up-graded premium plan. "WHAT?" I almost had a heart attack there on the spot! And no Ron to pick up the pieces!. He had to supervise construction at our NM home.

Anyway, then the plumber informed me that if I went to Habitat for Humanity store, I MIGHT be able to find the toilet that would fit, but no guarantee that the toilet I would find - even a wall-hung - would fit where the old one was. And then, what to do about the surrounding wall??

Off to Habitat for Humanity. They had two toilets. "Lord, will you guide me to choose the one that'll fit?" They were $150.00 each - certainly better than $1000.00! I sat there waiting for Ron to answer either his cell phone or the house phone. I waited three hours! Finally an answer. "Get the toilet, and if it fits, it fits!" he said.

Meanwhile Ron was negotiating with Service One and the Plumber over finances. The next day, the plumber returned. When he informed me that he was there to replace the toilet with the one I had bought, I said, "I just may hug you!" But of course, I did not. However, was I thrilled? Beyond words!

Then there was the question of the mildew behind the toilet. I called a handyman, no one I knew, but turned out to be an honest, good guy. He told me how to get rid of the mildew and how to repair the problem myself. No outlay of money for that. YEA!

AND . . . there was the front door knob that needed replacement. I bought a lovely one and proceeded to remove the old and replace, but . . . alas, the Sun City doors require a "special lock" and a wood rasp to make the hole bigger. YUP! I bought a rasp, played carpenter, returned the lock to Lowe's, and went to the only store that carried a lock that would fit the condo's door. They had ONE left, and the locksmith informed me that the company was no longer going to make the kind that would fit. WOW! Was I blessed or what? I would have had to replace the whole door without that last lock!

Floors scrubbed with an electric scrubber, walls, bathroom cabinets and trim painted, new toilet and wall repair, a wall of wallpaper in the Master Bedroom, a new ceiling fan, vertical blinds and door knob and lock later, the condo is transformed, clean and ready for my roommate and her husband. And every step of the way, the good Lord walked beside me!

It's the same thing when we begin the transformation process within ourselves. We meet hurdle after hurdle, and the good Lord smashes through some for us, gives a boost to climb over others, and carries us over the insurmountable ones, all to make us return to the image of Himself within us. What a miracle-working God!

Back to Home Page

No comments:

Post a Comment