Friday, December 18, 2009

Snowflakes, Snowmen, Candy Canes.......

Snowflakes, Snowmen, Candy canes, Christmas trees and Gingerbread boys.

M.m.m. ?

You're right! They are cookies!

Today two ladies from our church came and we made cookies and decorated them. Last night I had mixed up the batter and refrigerated it overnight. This morning I made the frosting. When the ladies came, we rolled out the dough, and made the cut-outs, baked the cookies and began the tedious, yet fun chore of decorating the cookies.
What fun we had! We sang Christmas songs along with a CD, we laughed, prayed for a sick church member, had lunch and even sampled a gingerbread man and a candy cane each - without the frosting.

This year our church is giving out a "Christmas Bag" to each child of the church. So this week-end, after the services, each child will be called to the front and given a bag.

You know, when I was a kid, my church always gave each child a gift, and I've never forgotten that. In our last years of Pastoral Ministry, we started that at our church. What delight in the eyes of the children, to think that their church cared enough to give each child a special bag. One year, the church refused to allocate the funds for this, but still I baked gingerbread boys, my dear friend made popcorn balls and another church donated bags to the children of our church. This was "kinda" humiliating for the members of our church to think that another church in the community had cared about our children when our own members did not, but I guess it was a good lesson for them and the children were blessed.

With the advent of the famous "Dollar Store," it's quite easy to delight the children with a minimal outlay of money. What I recall is that my heart was always drawn to my church because they cared.

Are there children in your church who could use a Christmas Bag from you? It's not too late to do it! And you will be blessed when you see the reactions . Let us know if you do it, and how the children responded.

God Bless you and may you have a BLESSED Christmas and Love-filled New Year!

Ron and Nancy

Back to Home Page

No comments:

Post a Comment