Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A song in Time

Have you ever noticed that just when you need a boost - a few words of encouragement, the listening ear of someone who "gets it", an offer of help even though it's reality may be impossible - that help arrives, and usually just in the nick of time?

Today was not one of my better days. I'm coughing like crazy and feeling generally awful; I guess from that horrid Arizona dust storm we came through last week.  Sure enough, when some allergen from the outside or some nasty bug is floating around, it'll go to my compromised lungs. Add to that, computer frustrations and trying to accomplish some work, and I was close to my wits end!

And the phone rang.  I answered and a little voice that at first I did not recognize inquired about how I was doing - and what I was doing. Once I recognizedthe voice, and I had coughed a couple of times, the caller quickly got the message that my answer was - "not too great."  "What do you need to do for that cough?" she asked."  I assured her that I was taking all the "stuff" I could and probably just needed rest.

"Well, can you do that? Can we come and help you?"  WHAT?  That person lives a nine hour drive away! 
"No", I replied, "Really, the work we are doing is stuff we have to do ourselves, but thank you."
"Why do you have to do it?" she asked.  Well, we are preparing for our new seminar and have to do this because we want to be ready for it, and quite frankly, we need the added income," I answered sheepishly.
"Well, would you let us send you a bit of money?  You know, we think so much of you and of your work, so we would be happy to send a little to help you."

I was overwhelmed!  Just when I needed a shot in the arm, God must have spoken to her and prompted her to call.  The "shot in the arm" wasn't her generous offer of time or money, it was just the fact that she had called, was concerned, solicitous and kind, and that God had answered my prayer for a boost even before I prayed it.

It is so true, that God gifts us with the desires of our hearts, when we don't even know what they are! When her kind words were spoken, they went straight to my heart from the heart of my friend.

One of my favorite sayings . . . A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.  Thanks for singing today, Katydid!  and to you Priscilla and Donna for all the songs you have sung to me in the past!

Back to Home Page

2 comments:

  1. Good morning!
    After reading A Song in Time, I remembered the many times God sent me a timely song also. Sometimes we think we can't do much for a person yet even a smile for a stranger in the grocery line and a quick positive sentence or 2 as we slowly move forward, can make a major difference in that person's life. They get that they are "seen" and "heard" and their day and mine get better.
    Just last week a close friend commented to me that she got that I really HEARD HER after a phone conversation a day or two before. I had to stop and think why that one was different than the others we have had. I realized I totally stopped DOING (I am always multi-tasking) and truly listened and was there for her. And she felt it, and got it! I didn't have the answers to fix anything (how often do I?...but am usually a good sounding board and share my experiences..)
    So there I was "listening with my heart" and her heart received it. It was a blessing to us both!

    Now I am endeavoring to stop and listen with undivided attention and a receptive heart when on the phone with my friends!
    Now tele-marketers - that's another story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend: Before I called you, just because hearing your voice....cough and all...I had a heart ache. My daughter chooses to hurt my mother-self in ways I cannot begin to share here. I made a healthy choice to not have her come and run over my soul...one more time.
    Instead, I had a little cash to give to someone who really does care for me, my heart and my soul. That someone is you, dearest Nancita. I heal, I pray and I laugh when you laugh and it helps the healing process.
    Love to you both: Katydid

    ReplyDelete